Friday, October 17, 2008

Healthy Food and Kids!

The main reason other than having my own business for Little Chefs is helping educate children on eating healthier. If I can help educate them that eating and cooking healthy can be fun and easy then I will be quite pleased.
" Healthier Kids One Bite At A Time " One of my tag lines............. Anyhow I do not consider myself a sneaky chef with food for my two girls but as they get older they have become more picky with eating. So the other day I was trying out a new recipe with pumpkin in it. Pumpkin, real pumpkin like from the Jack-O-Lanterns that you may have craved up ( or a can from the store ) It can not be pumpkin pie filling but only pumpkin puree.

My Little Chefs ( Alyssa & Angelina ) have joyfully agreed to help make this cookie recipe to see if we can then decorate them with icing /sprinkles after. As we progress along with adding all the wet ingredients together and then on to the dry ingredients one of my girls noticed the pumpkin colour and says " Did you put pumpkin in the cookies Mommy?" I think for a second or two and answer " Yes, pumpkin is actually good for you!" Not what I should have said because most children do not want to eat things that look odd, smell odd, or have not had before! So I then hear " Yuk , I am not going to eat these cookies Mommy" I chose to ignore that comment because I have become quite good at ignoring my kids at times. Something you need to do at times when you are with your children 24/7 ! ( except for when they are at school )

Well the cookies did not try out as we planned. They were to flatten out during cooking so once cooled they could be decorated. So I heard a few boo hoos about not being able to decorate these cookies but once offered one to eat they did take one.
Surprise they loved them! No icing, no chocolate, no sprinkles just this soft, chewy, moist and yummy cookie. They even wanted more!!
So do not fool you kids when it comes to food. Be honest, make it fun and most of all try to make it healthy!
They might even surprise you!! I will add the recipe later and may include some pictures too!

Yours in good health,
Lori

No comments: